Yggdrasil Radio Discussion

Rockin' the World With Jpop and Your Requests
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Donations / extra slots
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:14 pm 
Offline
Yggdrasil DJ
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 231
Someone donated $25 to the station the other day, which always makes me feel grateful and strangely humbled.

At first I didn't even allow donations, because I hate stations that stress DONATE TO KEEP THIS STATION ALIVE... this is a GUILT FREE STATION and I hope it always will be. If none of you donated anything, this station would still be here, because I love doing this and don't want to stop for anything.

And yet people pressed hard for the ability to donate, so I finally gave in... and even though nobody that donates gets any special privileges or anything, you donated anyway... sometimes multiple times. I've never publicized the identity of donors; I feel a little guilty about that, I wonder if that's a good policy. But I know who you all are, and I appreciate it very much.

So that's why the donation page is oddly passive-aggressive -- "Well, okay, you can donate if you really WANT to..."

Now there's talk that people would love more listener slots... and yet I'm pretty much maxed out on what I can afford right now. So that means I'd need to... hawk for... donations. Oh, ick. I feel so uncomfortable with that.

Should people who donate have special privileges? What kind? Is there some way I can promote/encourage donations that would involve FUN and not guilt? What are your thoughts?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Confœderatio Helvetica
Hm. You shouldn't think too much about it. We all love this station, as it is and as it will be. If you do not have the option to offer more listening slots right now, that's fine. Someone not statisfied with that fact can always look out for another station (he might hardly find any).

And if someone find this station and the webmaster worth enough to donate something, that's also fine. You spend a lot of your time for this station, and also this is what you love to do, it's still time that you could have used otherwise. Maybe someone just don't know how to honor your work in other ways than donate, because he has nothing to post on the forums or to say something on the intercom.

Besides an idea about additional slots: Maybe there's a way to get "fexible slots", so if there are enough donations to get more slots in a month they will be added, and if there are less/no donations in a month there are simply just the 36 slots as ever.

_________________
Make sure You've read RFC 1855, before sending electronic mail,
start Chats, posting on Newsgroups or leave any Comments.
RFC 1855: Netiquette Guidelines <http://www.rfc1855.net/>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 am
Posts: 314
Chiaki wrote:
Besides an idea about additional slots: Maybe there's a way to get "fexible slots", so if there are enough donations to get more slots in a month they will be added, and if there are less/no donations in a month there are simply just the 36 slots as ever.

I asked this a few weeks ago too. But Shoutcast doesn't really offer you additional options for this, you need to manually request/de-request the slots and those cost some money too if i understood right.

A possible, less setting required option could be that wait till the donations reach 1 year of example 40 slots worth and then order it in bulk (probably with a discount as usually these things go) for a full year.

As with "paid" service... i dont really like the idea, sorry ^^
But maybe, if you log in and you are a "subscriber"
a) you can have your request for 20mins cooldown. (>= 1$)
b) you can re-request the same song after 2,5 hours not 3. (>= 5$)
c) let ppl request from DJ special list. untill they abuse it 1st time, after that lock the special list from the abuser. (>= 10$)
d) Getting a "fix" slot (i mean kick one connection and let the paid user join) will make random listeners feel probably bad...

_________________
Do you Believe in your Dreams?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:07 pm
Posts: 18
Location: Confœderatio Helvetica
thely wrote:
But maybe, if you log in and you are a "subscriber"
...
d) Getting a "fix" slot (i mean kick one connection and let the paid user join) will make random listeners feel probably bad...


I thought of this too, but didn't mentioned it.

To get this to work, you'll need some method to auth to the station server, wich maybe a way for cookies, but as I know Winamp doesn't send a cookie to any server it connects. Otherwise it would be an IP-based solution, but this breaks on the "get new IP on reconnect" point for most users. Also a IP-/cookie-combination may be a way, but this is difficult for users and the webmaster ^^"

And, if in any case 37 users donate, wich one get the kick if the 37th will join? ^_^°

_________________
Make sure You've read RFC 1855, before sending electronic mail,
start Chats, posting on Newsgroups or leave any Comments.
RFC 1855: Netiquette Guidelines <http://www.rfc1855.net/>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 41
thely wrote:
As with "paid" service... i dont really like the idea, sorry ^^
But maybe, if you log in and you are a "subscriber"
a) you can have your request for 20mins cooldown. (>= 1$)
b) you can re-request the same song after 2,5 hours not 3. (>= 5$)
c) let ppl request from DJ special list. untill they abuse it 1st time, after that lock the special list from the abuser. (>= 10$)
d) Getting a "fix" slot (i mean kick one connection and let the paid user join) will make random listeners feel probably bad...


a) nice idea (also to old users :p )
b) could be, but not necessary
c) I didn't understand, like aka haruhi's playlist (all haruhi's songs) ? could be a special playlist with all songs of a series, 2 times per week...
d) but I think if you donate or pay by a service you want 24/7 service for you, I think it's a good idea, but bad for free users xD


.....

I also, I don't like charge in my website by my programs, but sometimes my pocket hurts, so, I'm trying with ads...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 am
Posts: 314
Chiaki wrote:
To get this to work, you'll need some method to auth to the station server, wich maybe a way for cookies, but as I know Winamp doesn't send a cookie to any server it connects. Otherwise it would be an IP-based solution, but this breaks on the "get new IP on reconnect" point for most users. Also a IP-/cookie-combination may be a way, but this is difficult for users and the webmaster ^^"

I think (with the few web experience i have) it can be done with a different link. So when you log on, the listen button changes link to easily distinguish between paid and non-paid users...

Chiaki wrote:
And, if in any case 37 users donate, wich one get the kick if the 37th will join? ^_^°

yeah, thats a concern too :P and thats why probably that this is not a good idea ^^

cdcr1985 wrote:
I also, I don't like charge in my website by my programs, but sometimes my pocket hurts, so, I'm trying with ads...

On the new page the adds can be easily displayed on the right side in a max. 200px width column... without bothering ppl to browse for songs, see the intercom/whats been playing, etc.

EDIT: keep in mind that the ammounts i guessed are for monthly subscribing... not a 1-time donation... :oops:
and its needed to log in to the site to determine your "level"... (doesnt mean you have to chat in intercom ;))

EDIT2:
cdcr1985 wrote:
c) I didn't understand...

There are those songs that aren't requestable right now. Those are on the DJ special list. I meant we could access that vs a free or "low level" subscriber cant...

_________________
Do you Believe in your Dreams?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group