Yggdrasil Radio Discussion

Rockin' the World With Jpop and Your Requests
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:48 am 
Yggdrasil DJ

I haven't been very faithful in keeping you guys up to date, have I?

I'm working on the new keywords feature. You may see words enclosed in brackets from time to time, like [touhou] for all the Touhou music. Click on the keyword, and you'll get a list of all the songs in those categories.

Of course, that means 99% of the songlist doesn't have keywords, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

We're all grooving to that new "Lucky Star Mush" song Dracho came up with, and Thely's still churning out pictures.

After I get keywords done, I really want to add a way for people to edit/correct song tags, queued up for my approval. We've got a LOT of untagged songs, and I could use all the help I can get.

Most of the songs added before I added the "info" line (where you see "Opening theme," etc) don't have any information on opening/ending theme.

Oh! In other news, we've got growing pains again. The station is becoming more popular (yay!) but unfortunately that means the request system is starting to unravel. There's only so many requests that can be played in an hour, and with more and more people requesting, they're stacking up 12 deep.

That means that you won't hear your request for a good long time, and people are starting to get annoyed. There's really no solution for this other than to restrict requests more, and I'm holding off on that as long as I can, but eventually we're going to have to go to one request every 30 minutes, two requests every hour or two hours, or something like that.

I could restrict requests to people who are signed in, but then there's be far more people on the intercom, and that part of the website is kind of resource intensive. It does fine with 10 people, say, but if it were to get 40 people on it, I'm pretty sure it'd break down.

Interesting times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 am 

Yay, keywords and tag editor :twisted:

When you ever re-do the intercom to use less resources, then would love to see the "logged in users request's recive priority" 'rule' implemented :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:51 pm 

a) registered users get priority over song queue
b) registered users get pushed at 4th in line, cutting ahead of everything after the original 4.

Yep. However, that's just giving grace on your more faithful members, not fixing any problem at all.

Or when over 30 users are on yggdrasil, limit it to 1 request each then and put the drawback time to 40 minutes.

You've said it yourself -- there isn't really another way then restricting requests. It's a direct and sole cause & effect. More requests = more wait time. Can't really negate that.

You can add the "random request" button on the playlist page, it will back up requests further, making people wait even longer, but it will be a priority "regular song" that won't get moved back. It negates your purpose, but it ads to the variety of songs matter. It's a double edged sword.

It's up to you.

I'll help tag songs, but i'm not all that active on the station ;)