Yggdrasil Radio Discussion

Rockin' the World With Jpop and Your Requests
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why should I buy a PSP?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:45 am 

Besides the obviousness of being able to stream Yggdrasil anywhere I have a WiFi hotspot, what else can I do with it? And I'm not that interested in the games. More the homebrew/emulation end of things.

I had a PSP when they first came out, in fact, mine came with firmware 1.5. I was stoked when I found out I could play snes games on it, but I know over time $ony started patching it, and making that a little more.. umm.. impossible. I eventually upgraded my firmware, telling myself that I bought it to play new games instead of old games. Eventually, I got bored with it, and used it as trade in credit for my Wii. But recently I have read that it is possible to play backups off of a memory card, which really appeals to me since there is no place locally to rent PSP games, and I HATE shelling out $50 on a game that pretty much sucks.

The local gamestop sells used PSPs for $129 for the Fat and $149 for the Slim. I thought these were really good prices, till I found out I could get a new slim for $169. A $40 savings over the new price might be worth getting a used Fattie, but I was told it couldn't use the peripherals like the GPS unit. On the other hand, I don't really care about GPS, but I love being "future proof," and I like the idea of being able to get it in the future, if it doesn't suck. So I guess my questions come down to this:

Is it possible to run homebrew/backups on an unmodded PSP, either Slim or Fat?

If not, what kind of mods are required? Hardware? Or just software?

I keep reading about custom firmware. But everything I read assumes you already have knowledge from previous versions of the custom firmware, so I get really confused really easily. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks for reading. I had the urge to buy one the other day, but talked myself out of it till I had some more knowledge on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 pm 

Specifically for listening to Yggdrasil Radio, you'll need a Slim. For some reason, Phats can't play stations with AAC+ encoding, or at least that's the conclusion we came to in this thread.

For radio stations, use the official Sony Radio Player I or use FreeRadio. You don't need a homebrew enabled PSP for either of these.

As for homebrew, either a phat or slim is fine, but slim cannot quite run the 1.50 kernel as of yet. Slims also cannot have custom firmware installed without a Pandora's battery and a special IPL installed on a memory stick. Said battery cannot be made without a homebrew enabled PSP, though. So unless you have a friend with a homebrew enabled PSP, you're out of luck with a slim.

A Phat with any firmware above 3.50 also needs a pandora's battery. Other than that, there are various ways to downgrade a Phat depending on the firmware version. (i.e., 3.50 requires a UMD copy of Lumines, as it uses an exploit in said game). Also, TA-082/TA-086 motherboards need to have a key patched before they can run 1.50 kernel based custom firmwares. If they aren't patched, your Phat will be bricked, and then you'll HAVE to have a Pandora's battery to fix it.

Various downgrading guides can be found at eXophase.com. If you plan on downgrading a Phat WITHOUT a pandora's battery on hand, I strongly suggest you do plenty of research beforehand. If you miss a step or do something in the wrong order, you can easily be left with a nice PSP shaped paperweight until you can get your hands on a pandora.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Slim, and hope for the best. I found some cool videos of the GPS navigation system, and between that, and R-Type, I decided I need a PSP.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:30 pm 

Figured I would update this post. A friend of mine decided to get a psp, and I told him about the modding potential, so he started doing some research of his own. He found this neat little thing, that lets you put your battery into service mode, and back with the press of a button. http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/PSP-Battery-Service-Tool__EF000530.aspx

A few days earlier I found a program that converts a standard memory card into a magic memory card, so we put our "discoveries" together, and withing 5 minutes, I was running 3.80 m33-5. Unfortunately, the psp he bought online didn't come with a battery, or charger, so he is fighting with the guy to get a refund, but he is determined, and will be running cfw on his psp as well.

Post subject: questions ???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:49 pm 

Ok, i have a friend with the Pandora's battery and "magic memory card", however, i don't know what will happen to my psp if i try for the cfw. :? can anyone give me a rundown on a "hacked" psp?